Undergraduate Funding Opportunities
The Department of Anthropology makes annual awards to undergraduate students and majors based on academic performance and in support of independent anthropological research.
Jocelyn Armstrong Merit Award
Dr. Armstrong is an Associate Professor Emerita at the Institute for Research on Human Development and in the Division of Rehabilitation Education at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Her research, which she conducts in New Zealand, Malaysia and the Midwest, focuses on ethnicity, gender and age, and their relation to health and well-being. From 1974 to 1985, Dr. Armstrong taught in the Department of Anthropology at the University of Hawai‘i as well as in the Freshmen Seminar Program and the Honors Program. While teaching Anthropology 200 (now offered as ANTH 152), Dr. Armstrong was impressed by the fact that students from many majors and programs took the course, not just anthropology majors. In establishing her award, she wishes to acknowledge the professional and personal enrichment she gained from working with such a broad cross-section of the University’s undergraduate community. She hopes that present and future students will be encouraged to continue considering cultural anthropology as an important component of their education and wants to recognize commitment to academic excellence among those who do.
- The award is $250 (awarded to one student per academic year)
- Recipients must be currently enrolled UHM undergraduates at the freshman or sophomore level who have successfully completed ANTH 152: Culture and Humanity (students enrolled in online sections are not eligible).
- There is no application. ANTH 152 instructors nominate students on the basis of:
- Outstanding scholastic achievement in Anthropology 152.
- Demonstrated commitment to anthropology.
- Nominees from both the Fall & Spring semesters will be reviewed by the UHM Department of Anthropology Awards Committee before the end of the academic year. The awardee will be notified upon their selection.
- UH Mānoa Scholarships
- UH Mānoa STAR Scholarship System
- The ASUH Scholarship
- The Colleges of Arts & Sciences Scholarships, Awards, & Internships
- UHM Financial Aid Services Scholarships